Then, the other day, he unveils his economic stimulus package. A few excerpts:
- $71 billion in new entitlement spending (extended unemployment benefits, welfare, food stamps, etc.)
- $31 billion to build or repair federal buildings
- $6 billion to "weatherize modest-income homes"
- $850 million to "prevent forest fires"
- $400 million for habitat restoration
Can someone please explain to me how deficit spending on nice-to-have projects like these is going to somehow stimulate our economy? If government spending stimulated the economy, it would be in fine shape and we wouldn't be in a recession.
Fresh from unveiling his liberal deficit spending package, he says this about executive bonuses given out last year:
"It is shameful," Obama said from the Oval Office Thursday. "And part of what we're going to need is for the folks on Wall Street who are asking for help to show some restraint, and show some discipline, and show some sense of responsibility."
Perhaps Obama should see a doctor.